Thursday 20 February 2014

52 weeks of public health research, part 7

Posted by Bronia Arnott, Martin White, Sarah Morgan-Trimmer and Heather Yoeli
From Bronia Arnott: On my way to a meeting to discuss with public transport providers ways to increase more sustainable travel, but my train was delayed and I was late. Isn't it ironic?

From Martin White: Having been President of the Society for Social Medicine for the last two years and overseen the most radical revamp in its history, it was with some pleasure that I saw its new image revealed on Wednesday 5th February 2014. Please explore the site, look at the new newsletter and submit an abstract for this year's ASM in Oxford.

From Sarah Morgan-Trimmer: This is the new healthy snack table in the office that I share with Annie and Catt at DECIPHer, Cardiff. Public health represented in still life!

From Heather Yoeli: I’ve been doing much of my thinking and writing at the Cowgate Centre, which on Mondays is the main ‘fieldwork site’ for my PhD project. I use the desk beside the main CCTV monitors, and sometimes groups of local kids come over to watch one another making faces at the cameras. This is the scene I returned to after I’d asked one of them to 'look after my things for just a minute’…

From Heather Yoeli: My supervision team have not been excessively impressed with my first attempt at a ‘findings’ chapter for my PhD. And so, on my Thursday day off, I took my children to see the fantastic Judith Kerr exhibition at Seven Stories, hoping to inspire us all with some absolutely brilliant writing. As we shared a hot chocolate afterwards, I saw this stripy gift-wrapped shoebox inviting ‘feedback’ on their cafĂ©. Giving and receiving an honest and constructive critique of one another’s work is an everyday part of academic life. I do prefer getting my feedback directly…


-------------------

Just to remind you:

Each Thursday of 2014 we’ll try and post around four pictures on the Fuse blog that capture our weeks in public health research, from the awe-inspiring to the everyday and mundane. Given that more of the latter than the former exists in my life, I foresee problems compiling 208 images worth posting on my own. So this is going to have to be a group project. Send me an image (or images) with a sentence or two describing what aspect of your week in public health research they sum up and I’ll post them as soon as I can. You don’t have to send four together – we can mix and match images from different people in the same week.

Normal rules apply: images you made yourself are best; if you use someone else’s image please check you’re allowed to first; if anyone’s identifiable in an image, make sure they’re happy for it to be posted; nothing rude; nothing that breaks research confidentiality etc.

Also, this doesn’t mean we wont also be posting words. You word-based posts are, as always, much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment