Thursday 30 January 2014

52 weeks of public health research, part 4


From Bronia Arnott: Public health researchers seem obsessed with hot drinks. Even more worrying is: they all seem to drink coffee. I sometimes feel like the 'legal alien' that Sting mentions in Englishman in New York when I say "I don't drink coffee, I take tea my dear". I have drank coffee in the name of science however: as an undergraduate studying Psychology I once participated in an experiment on the effect of caffeine on reaction times. I found myself in the experimental group, rather than the placebo decaf control group, and had to consume the equivalent of a double espresso. I can't remember whether my reaction times were quicker or not, but I do know that they had to scrape me off the ceiling afterwards, so I am sticking with tea.

From Mark Tully: I could not count the number of times I have sent an email with no attachment (usually when pressed with deadlines). Hopefully this new feature of Outlook 2013 will save many apologetic emails and red faces.

From Jean Adams: The most recent Fuse Quarterly Research Meeting was held last Thursday at Teesside University's Darlington campus. We're trying to make the @fuse_online twitter account a bit more interactive and will be actively using twitter more before and during future QRM's. Please join in the discussion, even if you can't be there in person.

From Jean Adams: Teesside University is one of the five partner universities that together make up the academic bit of Fuse. I love the way they never miss an opportunity to remind you where you are.

---------------

Just to remind you:

Each Thursday of 2014 we’ll try and post around four pictures on the Fuse blog that capture our weeks in public health research, from the awe-inspiring to the everyday and mundane. Given that more of the latter than the former exists in my life, I foresee problems compiling 208 images worth posting on my own. So this is going to have to be a group project. Send me an image (or images) with a sentence or two describing what aspect of your week in public health research they sum up and I’ll post them as soon as I can. You don’t have to send four together – we can mix and match images from different people in the same week.

Normal rules apply: images you made yourself are best; if you use someone else’s image please check you’re allowed to first; if anyone’s identifiable in an image, make sure they’re happy for it to be posted; nothing rude; nothing that breaks research confidentiality etc.

Also, this doesn’t mean we wont also be posting words. You word-based posts are, as always, much appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment